Key Lime Velvet Cake. This Lime Velvet cake is the latest in a series of variations of what may be the best cake recipe I ever developed. So we don't usually have desserts but today was an exceptional event as it was my husband's birthday. And whenever i make cakes or desserts sweets i always.
This Key Lime Cake features three layers of fluffy white cake with a hint of lime, a buttery graham cracker crumble in between each layer, and a sweet yet tangy key lime buttercream frosting. classic summer flavors and perfect for any gathering! For this key lime pound cake, I opted to use all butter instead of my usual butter-shortening duo. You won't find any lime jello in this key lime pound cake. You can have Key Lime Velvet Cake using 14 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Key Lime Velvet Cake
- You need 2 cups of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 tsp of baking soda.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
- You need 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.
- You need 1/4 cup of butter, softened.
- You need 2 of large eggs.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- You need 1 of and 1/2 tsp key lime zest.
- You need 1 cup of buttermilk.
- You need 1/2 tsp of white vinegar/apple cider vinegar.
- It’s 3 tbsp of key lime juice + 1 tbsp hot water, mixed.
- It’s of Afew drops yellow food colouring, optional.
Sure artificial lime can boost the lime flavor and give it a green color, but there is nothing like the taste of REAL key lime juice and REAL key lime. The cake layers are flavored with key lime juice and key lime zest. Although honestly, you could totally use bottled key lime juice and regular limes for the zest. Key limes can be tough to find, so don't stress.
Key Lime Velvet Cake step by step
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and whisk to combine..
- In a seperate mixing bowl, add in the sugar, butter and oil and whisk till thoroughly combined..
- Next, add in the eggs and whisk again until a thick smooth mixture forms..
- Then, add in the lime zest, vanilla, vinegar and food colouring and whisk again to combine..
- Next, add in the dry ingredients and buttermilk, alternating, beginning with the dry ingredients. With a spatula, fold in after each addition..
- Finally, add in the lime juice and with the spatula lightly fold it in, making sure to have a smooth, airy batter at the end without overmixing..
- Pour the batter into a 7 inch round cake pan (for a tall cake) that has been lined with parchment paper and greased around the sides..
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees fahrenheit on the center rack for about 35 minutes..
- The cake is ready when the top is still soft but set and is golden brown around the edges. Do the toothpick test as well..
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then take it out. Dust with powdered sugar and lime zest if desired and serve preferably warm. Enjoy!.
It'll be just as tasty the other way too. The cake is moist, light and lovely. This post may contain affiliate links. And the bride's father had requested Red Velvet Cake. Of course, I needed a lemon cake and when I came across the recipe for a Key Lime Cake over at Bakerella I knew it had to be part of the line up too.