Great Depression Cake. Depression cake is a type of cake that was commonly made during the Great Depression. The ingredients include little or no milk, sugar, butter or eggs, because the ingredients were then either expensive or hard to obtain. The unique way you make the cake makes it a great one to make with.
This cake has many names and many variations. It is rumored to have come about during the Great Depression. In spite of the fact that it has no eggs it is nice and moist. You can have Great Depression Cake using 8 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Great Depression Cake
- It’s of all purpose flour.
- You need of sugar.
- You need of baking soda.
- Prepare of salt.
- Prepare of vinegar.
- Prepare of vegetable oil.
- It’s of water.
- Prepare of orange extract.
This recipe uses no milk or eggs. Water cake gets its name from the fact that water is used instead of milk or buttermilk, along with oil, vinegar, and baking soda to give the. Depression Cake, also known as Wacky Cake or War Cake (among other names), originated in the Great Depression. It is a cake made without milk, eggs, or butter.
Great Depression Cake instructions
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the sugar and flour to the sprayed heated skillet..
- Mix the sugar and flour in the heated skillet form three pockets in the flour sugar mixture. In one add the oil. Mix the orange extract and vinegar, and add to the second pocket. Add the baking soda to the third pocket..
- Add the water.
- Mix it well in the skillet with no lumps..
- I put a faint emblem in the batter..
- Bake in oven for 35 minutes let cool just a bit if you use my lemon icing. You can just make out the emblem..
- Frost and serve I hope you enjoy!.
Chocolate Depression Cake-this recipe originates from the Great Depression. Also known as a Crazy Cake or Wacky Cake, it's also egg-free and dairy free for those with allergy issues. This Great Depression Cake certainly is a keeper! Simple ingredients and unique flavors make it a quick and easy dessert that you'll love. Wendy of Wendy's Kitchen Table is sharing her recipe and.